Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bodhgaya

From Varanasi I arrived in Bodhgaya late at night after a six hour train ride and an eventful cab drive. The cab driver was drunk! The whole town was asleep when I arrived at eleven pm. I got up very early the next morning to change my Hotel and found a nice Guesthouse just a half a mile away.The townspeople are still recovering from the festival Holi, where cleaning up and preparing for a new day to sell their ware along the streets. One can find almost everything in those little huts, like belts, suitcases, jewelry, pryer flags, gemstones, postcards, beads, rice and vegetables. I made my way through all the stands to the entrance of Buddha's Temple. It is a beautiful in craved stone Temple with a high pointed Dom and two smaller ones beside it. Buddha's head is all around the building carved into the stone. Behind the building is the Buddha tree where he got enlightened! I sat there in stillness for a long time and was at the center of my being. My personal path brought me there and I was in a state of joy and happiness! Many Monks where sitting there too and also collecting fallen leaves from the Buddha Tree. As I walked out of the temple two Boys approached me" Madam where are you from? You nice, can you give rupees? We need rupees for school, you donate for school good Karma!" I explained that I do not give money but if and I did not want to come to the school! "Madam we need book for school to study can you give rupees pleaaaase!" I examined this situation in every possible angel and after some more conversation I offered them to by the book. "Ok come come" so we all stated walking for about twenty minutes and I was really already wondering where they would take me. Finally we did end up a book store or better hut. They told the owner what they need and out came the biggest dictionary I have ever seen. The cost 1000 rupees. After I opened and closed my mouth for several times I asked for a discount, ten percent I got. I bought the book and we started walking again. " you nice lady come to my house please now!" I decided though that this was not a good idea and we walked back along a main road this time as all of a sudden an angry tourist approached me and said,"you know those two boys are scamers do not give them money!" I explained what I did and he said with disgust that I already fell into the trap. The boys did not run away but they knew that they where in trouble. I told them that it is bad karma if they sell the book and get the money! I went back to the Guesthouse to rest for a while and then go for dinner. As I walked to find a Restaurant a friendly voice came from behind, "hello madam can you give some rupees for school, I need book to study!" I turned around and saw a handsome well dressed boy behind me. I explained that I already bought a book today for the school. Then he proceeded that he is hungry and if I could give him some rupees! Then he said,"Can you take me to Restaurant?" finally I ended up taking him with me and I found that I had nice company for dinner!
The next day Wednesday March 23 I had a 14 hour train ride to Agra Fort!
Love to all! Namaste!
Sonja

6 comments:

  1. This is better than any book I've ever read... I can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to request this from the publisher in advance, as a NookBook...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're taking lots of pictures... can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja, you sure have my rapt attention as I read your posts. My heart is warmed when I hear you express your joyful moments. I went to see Dr. Smith--wonderful! Thinking of you....Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Sonja... time to enter a new blog. I start to worry about you when I haven't seen anything in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments! It is difficult sometimes to get space in the internet places, and also sometimes I write for an hour and then there is a power outage and my whole work is gone! Love Sonja

    ReplyDelete