Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Flight to India

My flight to New Delhi was long but with no surprises! Everything went smooth and I had two seats for myself to stretch my legs. Always more than enough to eat or drink. I arrived in New Delhi at 2am early Wednesday morning. The taxi ride was an adventure and really crazy. There seams to be no rules at all on those streets. Everybody ignores the white marked lanes and out of two lanes the cars form four. At one point my taxi driver squeezed himself between two trucks as they got closer to each other. We just made it with me in the backseat holding my breath! There is no police on the roads, nobody to check speed or cars crossing over three lanes. Also I believe all the cars have defected turning signals!
Today was a short day for me because I slept until 11am, then I got a cab to go to one of the oldest markets in town. Kahn Market, where I found some Indian clothes to wear to be appropriately dressed. Men are staring at all the tourists woman and there are hundreds of men sitting or standing everywhere I went today. In each little tiny store,even woman's clothing stores,I could see four to five men. All of them have a cell phone wherever they are. The woman are very nice and helpful. It was a bit difficult for me to find my cabdriver Kapur again, because all the little roads on the market look the same. One can easily get lost.
The embassy is like a fort with beautiful green grass, trees and flowers. The only green i saw today. It is a true sanctuary! The school is amazing and it looks similar to Stuart school in Richmond! They have about one thousand seven hundred students from all over the world here! Just outside of the walls are the slumps starting and I can see them when I stand on the balcony! Two completely different worlds next to each other.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you made it there safely, despite the taxi ride! Where are you staying right now? Keep us posted! ♥ Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made it there safely, too!!!
    I know you will have an amazing experience... can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mimi and Beverly, it is truly amazing and I will write today another chapter! Mimi I am staying at the American Embassy right now and leave here Saturday morning to go to Rishikesh! Love Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom~ Tell Kapur to slow down! I too am glad you made it there safely. It seems like you are having fun so far. Are you tired from jet lag? I miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonja - I am so glad that you arrived safely! I have been thinking about you and your journey and am sending you warm wishes for a safe. . . - I agree with Stephanie - do tell him to slow down! - exciting and beautiful adventure. xo Nina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been thinking of you and glad to hear of your adventure so far. I'd love to see you in your new clothing! How nice to be able to follow you through this blog. Be well and stay safe as you continue on Saturday morning.
    Hugs. Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful to read about your journey. I bet you are as beautiful as ever in the indian clothing. Blessings to you for wonderful experiences.

    Spring is on the verge of appearing here in New England. I will be out doing spring clean up this week - getting my hands in the earth will be good.

    Namaste` Kate

    xoxox to you Sonja

    ReplyDelete