Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Agra


I truly have to appologize that the blogs are so delayed, but it is not always easy to find a internet cafe and if I have time to write the computers are are often occupied!
My 15 hour train ride was completely in the dark.  I only could get a sleeper train and my bed was upstairs without any windows and the curtains had to be drawn for privacy. I boarded the train at 5:45 in the morning and arrived in Agra at 8:30 at night. It cought me by surprise that I was not able to see any daylight  and so I considered this day as a resting day in bed! I was not feeling well and had an Indian belly, so I slept drank tea and read. I did the hotel booking for Agra  through the American Embassy and they also organized a driver to pick me up at the trainstaition. For once I felt safe and he drove me to a first class Hotel. I had a real shower and even some warm water. There was a towel and most important toilet paper!I only stayed for one day in Agra and allowed myself a guide to take me arround to all the different sites. First I went to see the Taj Mahal. I was so impressed by this enormes and beautiful monument! My guide Bahir was excellent and I learned the very sad  love story about the King and his wife! The whole Monument is made out of white marble and is engraved with precious stone flower patterns. Some of this stones glow in the dark  when the moon shines its light on it. My next stop was the Agra Fort where the King, who build the Taj Mahal for his late wife, lived! Then I visited the Ruins or better the foundation of the Black Taj. The Black Taj never got finished because the Kings son did not pursue this project. I also had the chance to observe a small family bussines and how they  created and inlayed the beautiful precious stones in the white marble. This was very interesting to me, as it is such a precise art technique. As we left there i needed some chai and i made the guide stop along the road where you really get the best tea! He was very surrprised and happy  that I wanted to do that. In the later afternoon we made our way to Fatepur Sikri  to see the the abandoned Fortand City.   This fort looked similar to the Agra Fort. It was build mostly in red clay stones and had a lot of carvings, wonderful doors and alcoves. The last visit was the Baby Taj from where I could see the Taj Mahal in the evening light. The Baby Taj consisted of several Tombs where Princesses where laid to rest. This was a long day with a lot of impressions and so I went back to the Hotel, ate something and had to go to sleep. The next morning I had to wake up by 4am to catch a train back to New Delhi and from where I had  a  flight to Goa.
Thank you for reading and listening to me as I walk on my path through India. I will talk to you soon again to tell the stories about Arambole, a very small village north of Goa!

Namaste

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are still alive and well! I think I would have stayed at the nice hotel with warm water & toilet paper for more than one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonja - so wonderful to read about your journey through your blog posts. Sending you love and Reiki - Namaste` my friend. - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sonja,
    What's happened to the time? You've been to all these cities and had all these experiences and here I am running around stressing over selling furniture! Sorry I've been absent for days, but am now caught up with your writings and am so happy you're getting around so well and rolling with uneasy times when they come along. You're strong!
    I want to catch you up on Sheila. She had the robotic surgery and is cancer free! Other than the mental stress of it, which you well know, things couldn't have gone any better. The other news is, after looking for months, they couldn't find a house in Richmond they wanted to buy, so they bought the house they're living in. So Sheila will be in DC for at least two more years.
    All is well here ... working & playing hard all the time!
    Take care and carry on. Love you!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you all for your notes I so appreciate this, It is good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete